This is a 1 1/2 story gambrel colonial built on lot 21 of the 1765 plat. . According to the RIHS, it was built in 1829 as a copy of an older house in Newport, RI. The National Register application lists it as the “John Stockford House” ca 1834. Recent research by the WPS, however, shows it to have been built by Benjamin Cranston ca. 1834. It is an unusual combination of gambrel roof and Greek revival trim.
The windows are old wood 6/6.
The siding is wood clapboard.
The chimney is old probably original.
History: (to be continued)
April 30, 1906, Deedbook 38, page 312. Charles Prior estate sold to Jesse Bowen land with a dwelling house.