This is a ca 1776 2 1/2 story gambrel colonial built by Josias Lyndon, Governor of Rhode Island in 1768 and 1769. He died here in 1778, two years after moving to Warren from Aquidneck Island.. It was used as St. Marks Church Rectory from 1963 to about 2000.
Although Lyndon lived most of his life in Newport County, he was a major landowner in Warren during the 1760s and 70s and at one time owned almost all the land between Wheaton and Washington Sts. South to North and between Water and Main Sts. West to East. This land was laid out in two plats (1765 and 1768) totaling 63 house lots.
The windows are mixed period.
The siding is wood shingle.
The chimney is a large old center chimney.
As it appeared in 1929. Note the similar,now removed, house to the North.
April 11, 1765, Deedbook 2, page 67. (with survey map) This was lot 33 in the Lyndon-Wheaton plat of 1765. Lyndon retained this lot and later used it for his own residence.